Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and we think the best way to show mom you love her is by cooking up something delicious and nutritious! Both of our moms used to make chicken quite often, so we think it’s only fitting that we’d pay homage to this popular ingredient – one of the most popular proteins on the planet.
T-Fal asked us to create a recipe for mom in mind using their new Actifry Express XL, and we were eager to try out the unit in our kitchen and see how it could perform. The new extra large capacity can feed up to six people, and what’s more, says it can cook your favorite foods in 25% less time than conventional cooking methods. (The 25% comparison is vs. the current actifry models in certain meals such as french fries.)
In all honesty, we were both actually a bit surprised at what a great job the Actuary Express XL unit does; turning out ultra-crispy results with everything we put to the test. From french fries to chicken wings, the results were quite satisfying – and it’s quite remarkable how little oil is required. Timing would obviously vary depending on what we made, but all in all, the machine really does cut down on cooking times, with most foods we tried coming in at 30 minutes or less.
These sweet and spicy drumsticks are the perfect easy dinner, and the best part is – they require zero oil. The sauce for these drumsticks is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy, but do feel free to adjust the measurements to your tastes.
Preparing the chicken in the ActiFry promotes a super crispy skin without adding any oil. To achieve the same results using a traditional method, the chicken is browned in an oiled skillet then transferred to the oven to bake until cooked through. This extra step adds more fat and calories and also means an extra dish to wash! (Serves 2.)
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon light sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 celery stalks
- 1-2 tablespoons blue cheese
- ⅛ cup mayonnaise
- Place chicken, skin on, inside the T-Fal Actifry unit and set timer to 30 minutes.
- To make the glaze, combine sriracha, ketchup, honey, unsalted butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, light sesame oil, ground black pepper and sea salt in a saucepan on medium heat. Cook until butter has melted completely, and sauce has begun to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make blue cheese dip (optional): In a small bowl, combine blue cheese and mayo together. Place in the refrigerator to stay cold until serving.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from the Actifry toss together with the glaze in a large bowl. Serve with fresh celery sticks and blue cheese dip (optional).
Nutrition per serving (2 drumsticks with glaze) cooked in the Actifry Express XL:
- 622 calories
- 34 g total fat
- 29 g carbs
- 48 g protein
Nutrition per serving traditional preparation* (2 drumsticks with glaze):
- 682 calories
- 41 g total fat
- 29 g carbs
- 48 g protein
*chicken browned in a skillet with 1 tbsp vegetable oil, baked then glazed
Thanks to T-Fal for sponsoring this post. All opinions are ours.